SourceWise understands Medi-Cal in full and is able to help explain coverage in simple language.

Information & Awareness

SourceWise Member Newsletter

Information & Awareness

SourceWise is the Online Community Resources Leader of Santa Clara County

Information & Awareness

Text Size

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 100%

Frequently Asked Questions

Community Resources Specialists provide information on programs, eligibility criteria, availability, and the procedures to obtain particular services in order to inform you of your options and make the best decisions for your unique situation. Regardless of your needs and situation, Information & Awareness is available to educate you on your available options and to empower you by providing unbiased referrals to local resources.

1 - My Medicare prescription drug plan is not meeting my needs. Who can I talk to?

2 - I am currently receiving In-Home Supportive Services but feel like I need more. What is the process for requesting additional hours of service?



1 - My Medicare prescription drug plan is not meeting my needs. Who can I talk to?

Call the Sourcewise Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP) at (408) 350-3200, option 2. HICAP is a program offered by Sourcewise to Medicare or soon-to-be Medicare beneficiaries and/or their caregivers on all aspects of Medicare and other senior-related health insurance needs. We also provide long term care insurance counseling services. Specially trained counselors are available to advise you 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding national holidays.



2 - I am currently receiving In-Home Supportive Services but feel like I need more. What is the process for requesting additional hours of service?

Call In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) at (408) 792-1600 and request to speak to your IHSS social worker.

3 - How can I get answers to ‘End-of-Life’ questions?
Call Information & Awareness at (408) 350-3200, option 1, for information and referrals that meet your pre-planning needs.

4 - My parents live in another state, but I live in California. How do I find out about services available to them?
Contact Eldercare Locator at 1 (800) 677-1116 or can help you locate the Area Agency on Aging in the area your parents live, anywhere in the nation. Also, to be connected with another area agency on aging, you can call (408) 350-3200, option 1.

5 - Can you help me find the nearest Social Security office?
You can locate your nearest Social Security office by using their online office locator and entering your zip code.

6 - If my mother can’t drive anymore, are there transportation options to help her get groceries and get to doctor’s appointments?
Transportation services are available throughout Santa Clara County. Information & Awareness can assist you with information to access these services. Call a Sourcewise Information & Awareness Specialist at (408) 350-3200, option 1.

7 - Who can I talk to about locating a place to live?
Call Information & Awareness at (408) 350-3200, option 1 to discuss the various types of housing options available in Santa Clara County.

8 - I have concerns about a relative who lives in a nursing home. Is there someone who can look in on them?
Our State Long Term Care Ombudsman Program would be glad to investigate complaints. To reach them you may call (408) 944-0567 or (800) 231-4024 to reach their 24-hour Crisis Line.

9 - My mother has Alzheimer’s disease and I would like to learn more about it and see if there are any services that can help me.
Call Information & Awareness to discuss Alzheimer’s disease and the respite and support programs that may be available to you and your mother. You may also contact the Alzheimer’s Association of Northern CA at (800) 272-3900 and request educational material or information about support groups.

10 - My mother requires some assistance now and may need more help in the future. How do I find out what resources are available, so that I can determine what level of care would be most appropriate for her now and also later on?
You can contact Information & Awareness. They can assess your mother’s situation and educate you on how to implement services she needs now and will need in the future.

11 - If I’m not sure about my health insurance coverage is there a way to get insurance counseling?
Access to HICAP is as simple as placing a phone call to Sourcewise. You will be directed to a Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program counselor who will answer your questions and may schedule an appointment with you depending on your needs. Call Sourcewise at (408) 350-3200, option 2.

12 - My loved one has just passed away. Where can I find grief counseling?
There are a number of grief resources available in Santa Clara County, speak to a Community Resource Specialist about other grief-related resources available in our area.

13- I have a friend who is very lonely and could benefit from a friendly visitor.

Contact Information & Awareness Program for more information and similar resources.



14 - I just received an eviction notice. Is there any way to avoid the eviction?

The Sourcewise Information & Awareness can help connect with the correct services to determine your legal options.

15 - My elderly neighbor seems confused and not eating. Who can I call for help?
If you are worried about a senior’s welfare, you can dial 3-1-1 or contact the police or sheriff’s department directly and request a well-being or welfare check. You can also call Adult Protective Services (APS) directly at (408) 975-4900.

16 - Where can I find a walker for a disabled person with low to no funds?
Contact Information & Awareness Program for more information and mobility equipment resources.

17 - I would like more information on Meals on Wheels for my home-bound father.
Please call the Meals on Wheels Program at (408) 350-3200, option 4 and speak to a Nutrition Coordinator.

18- I am a senior homeowner in Santa Clara County and am in need of repairing my bathroom. Who can I call?
Contact Information & Awareness for more information on other home modification resources.


e-newsletter signup